4.20.2006

Man, I Cannot Wait Until This Semester Is OVER

Is this semester over yet? I am so burned out, school-wise. I've been going, full-time, for about two years now. I really need a break. I am so looking forward to taking a bit of time off this summer, just relaxing, recharging my batteries, making some money working, spending time with my family, working on my BFA and another couple of projects I'd like to do just for fun.

Speaking of my BFA final project, I decided what I'm doing finally - which is kind of a theme this week, as I also decided that I wasn't going to do an internship, as it was just too much of a financial hurdle, and, most importantly, it just didn't feel right for us, now. After a few weeks of solid prayer on the issue, it just made a lot more sense to stay here, make some money from working a lot at Gap, and finishing my BFA project with Brother Franson, whose direction I prefer, and working on said project with minimal distraction.

But yeah, I decided. I went back and forth on what I wanted to do, thinking that I needed to do something 180 degrees from what I usually do and was finding that none of that seemed like it would sustain me for a whole semester of work. So I'm doing - what else? - a comic book store. A store concept from a retail chain actually. Everything from soup to nuts: website, store environment, signage, anything and everything that it could possibly need. After wracking my brain, trying to find some kind of community service or public service announcement type of thing, but not being able to find anything that could either sustain me or was not a totally confrontational issue, I decided to go with this idea I had a long time ago. A cool place that treats comics like the cool, fun medium they are. No role-playing games, no action figures, no collectible cards, just comics as books. It's something I'm passionate about and something that can sustain a semester of work, so that's that, I guess. I'm actually pretty excited about it. I'll post my progress here, so check back now and then.

Well, I've got to get in the shower. I have to make up a math test that I missed last week. Did I mention I am burned out on school?

No comments: