4.13.2006

Rocking My World Right Now


Flaming Lips. At War With the Mystics. Loving it. It might seem a little lightweight when held up to the cosmic heaviness of their intensely personal masterpiece, The Soft Bulletin, or the rampant experimentalism of Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, but it's a fun, kaliedoscopic head trip, not out of place next to their criminally underrated Clouds Taste Metallic album.

Stand-out tracks for me (I'll spare you the full titles, with all their brillaint weirdness) are "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song," "Free Radicals," "Vein of Stars," "It Overtakes Me," "The W.A.N.D.," "Pompeii AM Gotterdammerung," as well as their version of "Bohemian Rhapsody," which is possibly the most gloriously deranged thing I've ever heard in recent memory. Possibly a little underwhelming when taken in full view of their entire discography, but taken on its own, it's a fun little psychedelic album.

Speaking of psychedeila, I also downloaded the Swedish band Dungen's latest album Ta Det Lungt, which I guess translates to Subliminal Sounds. It's a fitting title, a mish-mash of head-tripping tunes that meander along at a brisk pace, all multi-colored and burning. The opening track, "Panda," never fails to make me want to burn stuff, which is, as I was telling my cousin Jesse, my new standard of quality. (FYI, previous songs attaining the "Burn Stuff Mark of Quality," include Mando Diao's "Sheepdog," and the Walkmen's "the Rat." Hmmm, all animal related. Methinks I've just struck upon something huge.) Anyway, a little tiresome when taken in its fullness, but a more-than-decent album and, as an added bonus, allows you to name-drop a Swedish psychedelic band, which does wonders for your indie cred, believe-you-me.

No comments: