1.11.2007

I Know This Guy...

Who is a music pirate. You know, eye patch. Parrot on the shoulder. Peg-leg. The whole shebang. Anyway, he slipped me a copy of the new Of Montreal album, Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? and I must say, it is incredible. Maybe better than their last album, The Sundlandic Twins. Yeah, it's that good. Dancey psychedlic rock and roll pop perfection. Totally nutso stuff.

This guy, who I will refer to as Mister Pirate, also slipped me a copy of the new Shins album, Wincing the Night Away, which is... growing on me. If it were released by some other minor band I imagine I'd be falling all over myself trying to describe its brilliance, but it's the Shins, so I expect a little more than just "good." It's not bad, it's just sorta dull. Anyway, enough indie rock, "I liked them better before they sold out," pretension. They're still one of the best bands out there, so I'll shut up.

You can stream a couple songs from the Of Montreal album at their site and stream the new Shins track at their site and listen for yourself.

As long as I'm being an indie rock pedant, did anybody else hear the new Arcade Fire track they played on the All Songs Considered podcast this last week? I... didn't love it, unfortunately, but I'm sure their album will be decent and will take me six months or so until I can finally say "okay, okay... I like it," despite the overabundance of hype, just like I did with their debut, Funeral. Or the last Modest Mouse album. Or the Killer's album. Their debut, that is, not Sam's Town. What do you thiink I am, a 14 year-old girl with no taste whatsoever?

Parenthetically, I picked up the Beatles Love CD/DVD combo the other night and... well, wow. It's pretty heavy stuff and immensely impressive. It's the Beatles remixed and mashed-up and it's relatively mind-blowing.

I've been on a music binge lately and I'll post more later, but isn't music like the coolest?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to ask if you've listened to LOVE yet. Like you said, it's nothing short of mind-blowing. I gave it to Ben for Christmas and he listened to it 5 straight times I think.

I am most amazed that, besides the new orchestral arrangements for "While my Guitar...", everything on the album is vintage, original, fab four material. Yet it sounds so fresh, so raw, so immediate. It's just as fresh as The Information and every bit as fun. I think I already told you my top 3 albums of '06 were Post|War, The Information, and LOVE. Glad to see you've gotten it.

I'm excited for the new Of Montreal and Shins albums, and totally geeked for the new Arcade Fire. I know a couple of music pirates myself...I'll have to see if I can't get a hold of a copy...

Dylan Todd said...

It's a dangerous, but sometimes helpful thing, to have pirates as friends.

bryanorion said...

I hate to say it but, 'Sam's Town' has grown on me like hair around my nipples. All right, bad metaphor, but there are some good tunes on it. The lyrics can make you cringe at times and there are a few songs I always skip passed, but I'd be a liar if I said I didn't at least like it. "best album of the last 20 years"? I think not. Good CD to listen to? Unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Wincing the Night Away. The first CD that I've listened to, on Repeat, for about 15 times in a row since, probably, Violator? I mean, it's been a LONG time. But this is as perfect an album as I've heard in a long long time. Definitely the album to beat so far in 2007. I've always been a fan of the Shinz, but on this album they've just pulled it all together so perfectly. You can't beat "sleeping lessons" as an album opener.

I can't wait to hear Arcade Fire try to beat it!

Dylan Todd said...

Wincing is growing on me. I guess I expected to be blown away right away, as I was on Chutes Too Narrow, but it's starting to sink in that it's a really good album as well. I still favor Of Montreal's Hissing Fauna out of the two indie giants releases, but Wincing has been getting some pretty good play around the Big Red Robot office, which is to say... uh, my apartment.