7.11.2008

Dessert Island Disco, Day 5

More Songs About Buildings and Food
Talking Heads


Again, I'm forgoing the obvious. Seems to be a theme on this list. Remain In Light, until recently, would have been my go-to Talking Heads album, but I don't know. This is a great album (their first to be produced by my personal hero, Brian Eno), and I'd like an opportunity to re-familiarize myself with it. Plus, yeah, it's cover is "off the chain," so to speak.

More Songs is a jittery, funky, danceable punk rock album. Which sounds like it'd be a mess, but it works. Album opener "Thank You For Sending Me An Angel" is pure joyous nonsense with the repeated lyric "You can walk / You can / Talk just like me." "Stay Hungry", may or may not have something to do with the bodybuilding documentary of the same name ("Move a muscle" gets repeated a lot). "I'm Not In Love", is one of their punkier numbers, with its power chording and stop and start rhythms. And "Found A Job", a song about a couple tired of the same old crap on TV who decide to make their own TV show with friends and families, espoused the DIY ethos that was in full effect in the New York scene and prefigures the possibilities the Internets has opened up.

The most recognizable track, a cover of Al Green's soul classic "Take Me To the River" is a weird, loping, funky, awkward but excellent number and the track that sold me on this group. It's a soul standard covered by a bunch of art school punk rockers and it really shouldn't work. But, oh it does.

Anyway, this is a great album. I'm gonna go spin it up right now. Perfect for dancing after those barbecue parties with the natives. As long as you're not the main course, that is.

No comments: