4.19.2008

BRR Goes To the Movies - I is for Iron Man

.... Aaaand we're back. With the summer movie season closing in fast, it's time for me to bludgeon you with my opinions on the coming attractions set to smash your nearest movieplex into pieces. Because my opinions are soooo important. This summer has some pretty rad stuff on the docket and some pretty dreadful stuff. I will help you decide which is which. Such is my curse.

Today, let's look at this film, releasing May 2nd:

Oops, sorry. Wrong clip. Here's the trailer:

I will be honest with you, I am very very excited for this. I mean, they're going to have to work pretty hard o screw this one up. John Favreau at the helm, Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark (can you think of a more inspired casting move?), Terence Howard as James "Rhodie" Rhodes, Jeff "the Dude Abides" Bridges as Obadiah Stane/Iron Monger and Gwyneth Paltrow as, uh, Pepper Potts? Yeah, I have no clue who she is either, as I've only read like two issues of an Iron Man comic somewhere back in the 80's (red and white costume, baby!), but hopefully there'll be not a lot of the lovey stuff going on, if only to show that a superhero movie can exist without it. I mean come on, Tony Stark only has time to make sweet love to two things: a bottle of scotch and the future (and, if comics dynamo Joel Priddy is to be believed, Japanese motorcycles).

And while it's nice to include a little romance in an action movie when necessary (for example, a Spider-Man movie should be concerned with romance, as the transformation of Peter Parker from nebbish loser to slightly-less-nebbish loser is part of the story; the Superman/Lois Lane/Clark Kent love triangle makes for an interesting dynamic and speaks to Kal-El's inescapable other-ness/desire to be human; but in a Batman movie, a romance subplot just gets in the way, especially when said romantic interest is played by Katie "I couldn't act when I was on Dawson's Creek so I'm not sure why everybody expects me to be able to act now that I've married Tom Cruise and birthed his alien baby" Holmes. She's to be replaced by Maggie Gyllenhall in The Dark Knight, but well leave that for another episode, shall we?). Am I wrong or am I just behaving like a six-year-old who makes vomit noises when people kiss on television? U-Decide!

Anyway, this one's a Theater. I'll book a sitter and everything. What say you, Beloved Internets?

No comments: