1.01.2008

We Now Return To Your Regularly Scheduled Program...

Some observations from our Vegas trip over the Christmas break:

* Everyone in Las Vegas drives like a complete maniac. You are not paranoid: They are definitely trying to kill you.

* It is very bright in Las Vegas and I always forget to pack sunglasses, which means I spend a week squinting every time I'm there. So, Mr. Bright Sun, my crow's feet thank you for helping them grow. My illusion of youth, however, does not thank you. It does, in fact, curse you.

* Chicago O'Hare airport sucks.

* The TSA Air Nazis can kiss my you-know-what. I know you guys are just doing your job, but is part of that job making everyone traveling feel like a moron and a terrorist and nincompoop?

* My brother Bryan lives in the middle of nowhere.

* I saw two movies: Juno and No Country For Old Men, both of which were incredible and will rock your socks right off.

* Russel & Caitlin: please make sure you pick my name every year. Thank you.

* Downtown Las Vegas is as hilarious and campy as it is depressing.

* I love Alternate Reality Comics on Maryland Parkway and Tropicana. Best. Comic. Store. Ever. Perfect mix of mainstream, small press, indie and mini- comics. If you're ever in town, check it out.

* My new Polaroid is really cool, as is my wife.

* About a week or two before I head back to Vegas, I get this feeling like, "Y'know, I could maybe live there again. It might even be fun. Making it a cool place to live could be my project." Then I go there for a week or so and I realize that I never want to live there ever again, never ever. It's not a bad place, it just is so definitely not "me", y'know?

* The Bellagio fountains are cool, although I feel like such a tourist for enjoying them. Is that weird?

* In & Out Burger is what heaven looks, smells and tastes like. Double Double with fries and a chocolate shake &/or a half Coke, half Dr. Pepper? Oh. Hecks. Yes.

* I love my wife and kids. Like, a lot.

* When you haven't blogged in a while, it's hard to fight the urge to explain why you haven't blogged in a while.

* I found out the hard way that there is such a thing as eating too much pork in a single day. Why must pigs taste so dang good?!

* Finally, it's very good to finally be home.

6 comments:

Dave L said...

I am glad that my regularly sheduled program is back on track. I laughed. A few times.

By the way, did you see one of the new Simpsons episodes where the first half is all about the new comic book store that opens up and puts the old comic book guy out of business? You might enjoy it, at least a little.

Jenny + Mark = Love said...

The Bellagio fountains are the best. Is it sad that I sometimes watch them on youtube? Maybe just a little.
And yes, O'hare airport is the worst! I much prefer Midway.

- said...

It's a good thing to have you back, BRR.

Patti said...

I always forget about the sunglasses thing. If you wear sunglasses in December in Boston you're just not right.

Happy New Year ...

Jason Quinones said...

when i went to vegas i thought the bellagio fountains(and everything else i saw over there!)were cheesy...but in a beautiful way.

i like vegas!

and as far as eating pig goes...

EATING MEAT IS MURDER!!!

DELICIOUS...DELICIOUS MURDER!!!!

Cherine said...

I get so pumped to go home and then when I am there I think. Gosh I am glad I don't live here. I feel ya. Its not a bad place but not for me. Actually I don't know what is for me but I know its not Vegas! Dude it sucks traveling like that with kids huh. Driving would suck more but the hussle and bussle at airports makes me sick!