2.15.2007

Geek USA

Okay, so I keep feeling the need to apologize for this, so here goes: I watched the new Sci-Fi channel Battlestar Galactica miniseries, the one that feeds into the new series...

And I liked it. Like, a lot.

Now don't misunderstand, it's fairly nerdy sci-fi stuff, (cooler than anything Star Trek related, but still...) but I freaking ate it up. With a doggone spoon.

I remember thinking the 80's series was petty boss, with that robotic dog thing that looked sort of like Barkley from Sesame Street reworked buy the guys who built Robocop, but then again, I was in love with shows like the Dukes of Hazzard, Knight Rider and the Fall Guy, (not to mention the Greatest American Hero, a.k.a.: "That show was awesome!") so I don't know if pre-teen Dylan is a good arbiter of boss-ness. In fact, he wasn't. I'll just settle that here and now.

Basically, this show is Star Wars Lite (the best parts of the classic - starship dogfights - and prequels - political intrigue) with a little bit of Blade Runner/"Second Variety" Phillip K. Dick "What defines someone as 'alive?'" postmodern identity politics thrown in for some complexity. The acting's competent, the writing's slick and the production design is - for a basic cable-produced sci-fi show - pretty impressive.

So, basically, I'm hooked. Season one disc one is next in the queue and well, it's on like Donkey Kong. I'll try not to bore you with any posts about its radness, but, well, I can't promise anything. Now let's go blast some frakkin' Cylons.

No comments: