5.09.2008

BRR Goes to the Movies - Indiana Jones & the Kingdom Of the Crystal Skull

Early word is that this is going to disappoint.* Who cares? It's Indi-freaking-ana Jones, people!

I N D I A N A J O N E S !

Now, I've already explained my blind spot for Star Wars. Yes, I know the prequels were bad. Sure. Whatever. Still, there are some thing in each of those movies that I lovelovelove. Yes, I said "love." Three times. Deal with it! This blind spot? Goes double, maybe triple, for Indy. You have been warned.

Okay, so this has the LeBouf in it. That sets off some alarms. BUT, it also has Karen Allen, Marion from Raiders Of the Lost Ark, which is sort of cool. It also stars Cate Blanchett. (And I love Cate Blanchett. I must tell you this.) As a Soviet treasure hunter. Who is looking for crystal skulls. That may have something to do with aliens. From outer space. Those aliens.

Also, did I mention it has Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones in it?

I think that sort of makes up for the LeBouf and then some, don't you?

Anyway, so Indy 4 may suck. Big time. But come May 22nd, I will be there. In the Theater, popcorn in hand and a big stupid grim splayed across my face. And I will most likely love it.

You?


* Though let's be honest: this is a sequel to a series whose last installment was delivered to theaters almost 20 years ago and whose cultural impact is really immeasurably huge. Does that sound like a film that could make everybody happy?

4 comments:

Ryan said...

Man, I wish I could be there watching it with you! Did you ever crawl under your bed and pretend it was a moving truck? ROTLA influenced my childhood playing more than anything, including flat Shasta, Otter Pops, and Bonkers.
-Ryan

Jason Quinones said...

the track record for lucas flicks has been piss poor as of late(2 terrible new star wars flicks and one that was at best....just good enough!) but speilberg might even it out.

alien skulls???

Dylan Todd said...

Ryan, I'd see this movie with you in a second.

Jason, the proper punctuation to follow "Alien Skulls" is three exclamation marks, not question marks. I'm afraid I'll have to deduct some points from your final grade.

C'mon, it's pulp done right. Are crystal alien skulls any more far-fetched than the Magic Fup Of Jesus or Moses' Magical Mystery Box Of Face-Melting Mirth? Or whatever they were after in Temple Of Doom (which I still love to bits)?

It'll probably be not so good, as yeah, The Flanneled One has had a couple misfires along the way, but I have a feeling there's a 10-year-old inside me that will love the ever-loving blue-eyed crap out of this film, the LeBouf notwithstanding.

Pat R said...

i keep thinking Cate Blanchett is going to speak English with a German accent in the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull because Jones tends to go after Nazis... but, of course, the bad guys are Russian this time