2.12.2008

It Came From the Stars

This seems like it should be big news, doesn't it? Especially for someone whose whole life is based on a foundation of lightsabers and falcons of the millennium variety (which, any general contractor will tell you, is no way to build a building, though it's worked out pretty well, I guess). I mean, it's a New. Star. Wars. Movie. Like, in theaters and everything. I feel like I should feel some sort of excitement for this announcement rather than this creeping dread mixed with unexplainable sadness, like millions of voices crying out at once and suddenly silenced.

What do you think? Should I stay away like it's some sort of plague or should I be cautiously optimistic? Keep in mind I thought the other Clone Wars cartoons were cool, but also sort of crap. Discuss.

3 comments:

chrishaley said...

See, I thought those Clone Wars cartoons were the second best things that came out of the prequels being made. (The first was Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan.)
The Jedi in those cartoons acted like how I always imagined Jedi were really like during the "glory days". Mace Windu versus an entire army of droids like it's no big deal. That's what I expect(ed) from a Jedi. I understand there are limits to what human beings and CGI human beings can actually do in a live action movie, but (to me) those cartoons were a lot closer to my childhood fantasies about Star Wars.

So, my question to you is, why did you think they were kinda crappy?

Dylan Todd said...

Chris, the cartoons were fun, especially the the first series. The five-minute, ADD-friendly installments were a lot more fun than the second series, which got a little tiresome after a while (I've only seen each series on DVD, so that may have colored my enjoyment) and tried a little too hard to dovetail with the third prequel.

Trying to tie into the canon of the universe sort of made the fanboy inside of me all uncomfortable. I'd rather they be a compartmentalized (and non-canon) part of the mythos than an incontrovertible part of the galaxy.

Because I'm a nerd.

- said...

Prediction from someone who has a Yoda tattoo on his left shoulder: Better than Ep 1,2,4, and 6.

And don't get me started on ol' George's sense of "canon"..

Leia "I remember my mother.." Hmmm, there's some strong force if you can remember her when you were a NEWBORN.

Obi-Wan "I don't seem to remember owning a droid." Really? Never seen R2 before eh? Although this one I chalk up to Obi-Wan being super cool and not wanting to tell the spawn of the worst Jedi killer in history his own past, lest prior mistakes be made again.

I'm excited.