10.16.2007

It's Tribe Time...

Okay, so I'm loving the playoffs (Go Tribe! Sorry, Patti, but we must crush your team) but I hatehatehate those Dane Cook promos. Seriously, whose idea was that? When you say "baseball," I do not think of Dane Cook. If you say "talentless, gum-smacking, mouth-breathing frat reject who can't write his own material and therefore must steal it from others while also being the coolest guy that he himself knows," then maybe, but baseball? Come on.

Anyway, apparently Floyd from 30 Rock agrees:

Are Dane Cook's 15 minutes up yet? Can I fast-forward through them? No? Well then can I just sleep through them? Promise to wake me? Thanks. You're a pal.

And while I'm venting, those promos - the originals - aren't even funny. I thought comedians were supposed to be funny. Was I misinformed? Or is Cook's brand of humor so far beyond the ken of mortals like me that what he's doing is comedy, is in fact the very future of comedy, a future where "unfunny" is the new "funny," and I'm just too slow and too backward-thinking to grasp it's inherent hilarity? Perhaps Dane Cook is from a cube-shaped Bizarro planet where people are born old and grow to be babies and grass is red and grows underground and the sky is orange and filled with Studebakers and lawyers are like our Earth comedians and their comedians are like our CPA's and donuts taste like broccoli and cats marry dogs?

Stranger things have happened.

5 comments:

Dave L said...

I think it is about time for Cleveland to win SOME pro sport championship.

As far as linking to my blog, I would be more than fine with that.

I really like TMBG as well. Reading your comment about pop appreciation made me think about Material Issue. Any opinion on them?

Patti said...

Say it isn't so.

Dylan Todd said...

Dave, I don't think I've ever heard Material Issue. I will definitely check them out.

Patti, it is so. It is very so. We will be finishing the job on Thursday. Sorry.

Jesse said...

Go Tribe! Even though you beat my Yankees, let's be honest we really should have never made the post season in the first place (thank you my new home-team Mariners for absolutely fizzling the last 4 weeks of the season so my old home-team Yanks could have one more shot at glory) it's good to see them beating up on those dreaded Sawx.

As for the clip, that was absolutely Brilliant! After watching Jason Sudeikis on 30 Rock and seeing clips like these, all I can say is this dude has some talent! Has there ever been an SNL regular who can do broad comedy and subtle comedy just as well? Not to get too excited, but not many people not named Tom Hanks can pull that off...

Dylan Todd said...

Jesse, I agree, the SNL cast is insanely talented.

Unfortunately, the show is not all that funny.