Five Albums From 2007 That Are Better Than Challengers:
1. Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
2. LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver
3. Band Of Horses - Cease To Begin
4. Sondre Lerche - Phantom Punch
5. Super Furry Animals - Hey, Venus!
And as long as I'm list-making, here's a few more that I'd rate higher than Challengers:
Jens Lekman - Night Falls On Kortedala
Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
Gruff Rhys - Candylion
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Suburban Kids With Biblical Names - #3
They Might Be Giants - the Else
Peel - Peel
*edited to add: Panda Bear - Person Pitch
I also just downloaded the new David Byrne Live From Austin album which makes the list for a couple of reasons:
1. It contains his mind-blowingly rad version of Whitney Huston's "I Wanna Dance With Somebody".
2. It's features David Byrne. 'Nuff Said.
Which puts Challengers firmly outside the Top 10.
PS. I am fully aware that these lists are totally subjective. I just like to argue now and then. It's fun, right? It's like Music Nerd Fu. Me, I fight Mantis style. My fist is like the hammer of heaven raining down upon the necks your ancestors. My Pao is Kung of the Highest Order. Anybody else got a "Top 5 Of 2007 So Far" list they wanna post? Then do so... NOW! FIGHT!!!