7.29.2007

Saturday Night Is Alright For Sleeping

So, I finished posting last night and decided that I wasn't all that tired. So, I decided to stay up and watch Saturday Night Live. I figured it had been a while, so... why not?

Bad call, man.

What happened to this show? Now I don't want to get all "back when I was a kid," on you, but man, SNL, well, it sucks now. I know that I was probably spoiled by the amazing mid-to-late-90's cast (which were filled to the gills with some seriously heavy hitters), but come on, this is just... it's just not good comedy. It's not even good drama.

It made me feel like some ancient dinosaur person because not only was I getting pretty tired as I was watching it, but I just didn't get any of the skits. It was like they were speaking in Esperanto or Martian or something. I flipped through the channels during commercials and Mortal Kombat: Annihilation gave me more chuckles than the entire episode of SNL did. And it made more sense, too, which is saying something, because that movie is batcrap insane.

I am leaning toward laying blame at the feet of head writer Seth Myers (he's like a mini-Jimmy Fallon, all teeth and smarm with no comedic chops to back it up, always too willing to laugh at his own jokes) because it's not like there aren't funny people on the show: Poehler, Armisen and Forte are all very funny people, but man, this is just some dreadful stuff. It's like a caricature of a caricature of a caricature of SNL. Depressing.

2 comments:

Candace said...

glad i went to sleep.

Patti said...

I agree, I agree, I agree. Especially about the adjectives you used to describe Seth Meyers.