7.28.2007

Another Needless Comic Post

Holy crap!

Warren Ellis.

Simone Bianchi.

Astonishing X-Men.

Proof that Marvel hasn't gone completely mad.

Glee.

In other news, I went to the comic shop and the library this week, so now I will bore you with short reviews:

First off, I read the hardcover collection of the Ultimate Galactus Trilogy by Warren Ellis and a bunch (and i mean a bunch) of other artists. It's good. Not great, but there are enough moments to keep it afloat. (My favorite moment is when the shuttle is lifting off and Reed Richards, with a grin as wide as his flexible face can contain says "I never get tired of this feeling." You and me both, Reed.)

The only misstep (beyond the wildly varying art) is the inclusion of the Mark Millar/John Romita Jr. Ultimate Vision back-up strip that not only adds little to the overall story, but actually contradicts a sort of big plot point for the finale of the saga. Still, it's got that crackle that most Ellis books do (which, it can be argued, is the real foundation of the Ultimate Universe, i.e.: a desire to replicate the widescreen superheroics of Ellis' "definition of awesome" book: the Authority) and, face facts, true believers, Ultimate Captain Marvel is just plain cool.

I also picked up Bizarro Comics, an anthology of indie comics artists playing with DC's toys, (Not a bad idea, eh, Marvel?) as well as volume one of the much-hyped Isaac the Pirate, both of which I have only skimmed. Reviews will appear if I feel either are worth shouting about.

So, yeah, I went to the comic shop yesterday, as I am wont to do. Here's what I picked up:

the Immortal Iron Fist #7 - I think I'm with Jog on this one. As good as this issue was, I really thought it could/should have been better. Not a lot better, just... better. I kept waiting for that one "aw hecks yeah" moment that I've come to expect from this book, but, alas, it never came. Still, you can do worse than a book about a lady doing kung fu on pirates and prostitutes, so I'll be shutting up now.

Godland #19 - A solid issue. It's always a little too cute for its own good, but it's still big, winking fun. Scioli's cleaned up his linework a little and Casey starts moving all of the pieces from the various subplots he's been percolating, which is good because I can't help but feel like more should be happening by now (a fact that Casey, via Freidrich Nickelhead, kind of meta-inserts mid-issue). Still a good read.

I also took a chance on Starlord #1 for a few reasons:

1. It has Rocket Raccoon in it.

2. Issue 4 has this cover:

(click it to make it bigger... it's worth it.)

3. It's superheroes in space which is like peanut butter and chocolate. It's a no-brainer, really.

and finally,

4. It has Rocket Raccoon in it.

Basically, it's a bunch of third-tier Marvel space characters on a Dirty Dozen-style suicide mission. Did I mention Rocket Raccoon is in it? Seriously though, it has a really good, Star Wars Expanded Universe/Battlestar Galactica vibe to it and while I'm not following the entire Annihilation: Conquest crossover (that would require a lot more patience and cash than I currently possess, as well as a willingness to read a comic with the word Quasar - what was our name for him again, Huston? ah-winkwink - on the cover), I'm definitely on board with Starlord (I should make a campaign button that says that: "I Am On Board With Starlord") unless something goes horribly awry. Also, the art is quite pretty.

Oh, and also, I broke down and bought the hardcover of the first volume of Nextwave: Agents Of Hate, (with the second volume to be purchased sometime soon) because I love it so.

So, yeah. Anybody still reading this post? Anybody? Monkey bottoms and pig intestines. Poop monster. Electric battery car lipstick on an enigmatic steer. Fart bacon. Nicotine cheese. Gragnok. Purf. Wq.

1 comment:

Patti said...

I was there till I got to that "f" word. Not THE "f" word. The other one . . .