7.30.2007

It's Not Just Me, Is It?

Am I the only person in the world who thinks this movie is a great (genius?) idea poorly executed?

Think about it. A guy traveling across the country with his dead dad's elephant. Coping with the loss of a father he didn't really know or maybe even like. The elephant as a metaphor for guilt/memory of the deceased. It's like a Kerouac novel... only substitute Dean Moriarty with an Indian elephant. It needs to be ten kinds of surreal, solemn. As if Tim Burton or Terry Gilliam or David Lynch (the one who directed the Straight Story, not that other one who makes the movies that are gilded crap) were to direct (I'm thinking a cool comic book/graphic novel?). Can you see it? It'd be awesome, right? It's not just me, right? Right?

It's official: I'm adding this to my list of "Stuff I Really Need To Redo Sometime In the Future," along with Knight Rider and the Hands Of Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu.

3 comments:

Emilio Z. said...

dylaaaaaan!

Patti said...

I always liked that movie. AND The Straight Story.

Dylan Todd said...

I was watching it (parts of it) Sunday afternoon after church and man, I so wanted it to be so much better than it was.

Like I said, a great central premise, but poor execution.

As far as the Straight Story is concerned, my feelings for that film (and the vast majority of work by the soulless David Lynch as well) are well-documanted elsewhere on the blog.